Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Antique Flatware

Several years back my mother passed down a small box of silver flatware to me.  Amoungst the treasures in the little box were a military issue spoon and fork.  I have yet to identify their value as they appear to be much different than any I have found on the internet so far.  Researching flatware when you are a novice is much more difficult then , say, researching vintage cookbooks. 

I found these four matching forks, cleaned them with a silver cleaning cloth and then laid them out on my scanner.  Once I have a good photo it is easy to magnify on the computer to a large enough image that even I can read the stamp placed by the manufacturer on the back of the flatware. 
The stamp on the back says "1847 Roger Bros. AI"

This is what I was able to find about these particular pieces of flatware.

Rogers Brothers  can trace its beginning to the 1820's. They were a manufacturer of silver plate flatware and hollowware. Their most popular line perhaps was the 1847 Rogers Bros. flatware. The name Rogers Bros. was first used in 1847. In 1898, they became part of the International Silver Company. 1847 Rogers Bros Silver Plate is still being produced today.


This pattern is known as "Lorne"
A collection of four of these same forks in mint condition sold for $10.50 plus shipping and handling.
I have priced these $9.95
you may purchase them at
     http://www.etsy.com/listing/66170997/antique-forks-1847-roger-bros-flatware

No comments:

Post a Comment