Thursday, January 20, 2011

A PEACE of the past

I was going through some boxes in my garage yesterday when I came across something I was sure was lost to me forever, a small vase containing handcrafted beaded flowers made by my great grandmother.  My great grandmother passed away when I was 15, she was 98.  At some point in her life she made bouquets of beaded flowers and secured then in china cups with matching saucers.  I had two of these fabulous teacups when I was younger but somehow they were lost in a move some twenty years ago (casualties of my first marriage).  I was sad to have lost them and I was sure they were the last of their kind - until yesterday.  I was working in the garage when I came across a box my mother had given to me several years ago that I had never bothered to go through, and there they were, hidden treasures just waiting to be unearthed, cleaned and cherished.  There were two teacups and one vase with these beautiful hand beaded bouquets in them.  I took the bouquets out of the teacups and cleaned up the teacups for sale but the flowers are all mine!  I think I will place them all together in something to create a beautiful new home accessory that is a collaborative effort.  Maybe I will even try my hand at beading a flower or two myself.  Who knows, maybe there is a new career opportunity for me!
This is not a good photo - I used the scanner.  I will take some photos soon (hopefully). But I am so lucky and proud to have them.  My great grandmother always meant the world to me.  She was a tiny woman of great faith and there was always a sense of peace and tenderness about her.  A very nice change of pace from the rest of my crazy family.

No comments:

Post a Comment